Friday, September 7, 2007

An up and down week

It’s been an up and down week. To start with I had a flurry of lovely letters from readers, which meant I had just as many to write in return. Luckily, the letters are usually brief and to the point. Readers letters seem to come in bunches rather than being evenly spaced. Usually they’re pleasant and complimentary. I’ve only had two that haven’t been, and one of those was downright insulting and rude. It’s tempting to be rude in reply when it’s clear people have set out to provoke you. I don’t see the point of giving strangers the satisfaction of getting what they’re aiming for - a slanging match. I’ve got better things to do with my time. On Tuesday I started my writing day by spilling a cup of tea into my keyboard and over the desk. Three days later it’s dried out and in good working order again. I had a two short story acceptances this week, one for inclusion in an anthology the other for a popular womens' magazine. I’ve also written another short story this week, instead of getting on with my novel, which I temporarily abandoned when I ran into a problem. I find that if I do something else in the meantime my brain will come up with a solution, as it has on this occasion. I like writing short stories, so writing two one after the other was a nice little feast. But now it’s back to my novel.

No comments: